The City of Belle Meade has adopted a Zoning Code that covers a multitude of issues concerning residential building and use of property. The City employs a professional urban planner who enforces the code and administers approval processes for those residents whose building plans comply with the restrictions set forth in the Zoning Code. If a resident requests a special exception, variance, or conditional use from the Zoning Code, they must appeal to the City’s Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). The BZA meets the third Tuesday of the month at 5:00pm. The deadline for application, plans, and filing fees will be on the first Friday of the month prior to the month scheduled hearing date.
Click Here to view a Flowchart – Process for BZA Review
If it is determined that a BZA approval is needed, the following items are required at time of submission in order to be placed on the agenda:
- Application for BZA approval;
- One set of plans in a merged PDF format consisting of all required information; and
- Filing fee – Application for appeal is not complete and will not be placed on the agenda until all fees are paid. The fee may be paid on the Homepage (Make a Payment), be sure to put the property address and BZA in the memo line.
Items regulated by the Belle Meade Zoning Code include but are not limited to:
- New residences
- Accessory structures
- Fences and walls
- Rental property
- Swimming pools and spas – READ Pool Requirements
- Tennis Courts
- Terraces and decks
Before beginning any building project, including interior renovations, please call the City’s Building Official. He will assist the homeowner and/or the architect with any compliance issues regarding building or remodeling projects. See top of page for contact information.
- Zoning and Land Use Control- Updated
- Definition of Rear Setbacks for Zones
- Board of Zoning Appeal Application
- Board of Zoning Appeal Flow Chart
- Municipal Planning Commission Application
- Subdivision Regulations
- Building Setbacks
- Combining Parcels & Lots
- Zoning Map