Building permits can be obtained from the Office of the Building Official. Appointments are preferred. To find out if you need a building permit, click here. Generally, if the project falls within the guidelines of the Zoning Code, a permit can be issued without going before the Board of Zoning Appeals. The City of Belle Meade has adopted the 2015 ICC International Residential Code. According to Section R101.3 of the International Residential Code, the purpose of this code is to provide minimum requirements to safeguard the public safety, health and general welfare through affordability, structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, light and ventilation, energy conservation and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment. The provisions of the Code apply to the construction, addition, alteration and repair of one and two family dwellings and their accessory structures.
For more information, contact:
All plans and documents submitted for permits shall become the property of the City of Belle Meade. The following data shall be submitted for a building permit:
1. Building Permit Requirements
Submit all plans PDF and applications by email to the above address.
- Building permits are issued after properly completing permit applications.
- Applicant must show evidence of state contractor’s license and worker’s compensation insurance or homeowner can pull permit.
- Building permits are required when owner or authorized agent intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, inside or out.
- Any construction work, inside or out, $2,000 or more requires a permit.
- The permit fee is due upon issuance of the permit.
- After permit is issued, inspections must be requested by the owner/agent at various states, (see inspection handout).
2. Building Plans: scaled ¼” = 1 foot
- Foundation plans indicating width, depth, reinforcement type and anchor size and type.
- Cross wall section.
- Floor plan with dimensions.
- Size and length of floor joist, girders, and rafters.
- Front elevations from average natural grade and finish floor elevation.
- Front, sides, and rear elevations with existing grade and finish grade.
- Complete the Building Permit Application or Board of Zoning Appeals Application.
3. Plot Plan Survey Requirements for All New Houses or Additions
- Submit PDF’s by email to the above address.
- Scale of one inch (1”) equals (30’) thirty feet.
- Show site plan with property line dimensions, building envelope, existing and proposed contours, with principle structure and all accessory structures, driveway, sewer tank and control box location.
- Neighborhood site plan showing neighbor’s house and measurements to them.
- Show all new construction in shaded area.
- Submit sewer application form.
- Show storm water BMP’s, if needed.
- Show all trees eight (8) inches or larger in caliper and identify. Show trees to be removed due to construction.
- Fees must be paid in advance for all engineering/professional reviews.
Note: All necessary electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits are to be obtained from the proper Metropolitan Nashville Codes Administration office. The building code of the City of Belle Meade requires that all such permits and associated inspections be obtained. Plans and specifications prepared by an architect shall bear the Architects seal and date in accordance with state laws and regulation
Click here to download the Building Permit & Inspection Agreement, You may also need a permit to remove trees (see below).
Click Here to download DEMO application
Click here to view the Flowchart – Process for BZA Review